Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Taylor Is Trained & Russell Is Walking!

Let me begin by thanking everyone for the advice--I couldn't have made it through these six days of torture without you.  Some suggestions in particular helped my fiercely independent, morning-potty-king figure it out:

1.  Put Taylor in underwear at night.
2.  Give Taylor the control.  He should decide when he goes potty.
3.  Gradually work him into wearing pants. Bare bottom, underwear, fully clothed, in that order.
4.  Give him something to do, like read books (or play iPhone apps!) while he tries to poop.
5.  Insist on him cleaning up when he has accidents.

Taylor and I clashed many times during this potty training experience because he really needs to make his own choices, and I always fought to be in control.  (My dad once joked with me that if it were okay to parent like Satan, I probably would.  Sadly there's truth to that. :) )

Once I turned things over to Taylor, he shone.  We still have accidents here and there, but I think he's basically got being a "big boy" down.  Thank goodness!

I even feel comfortable enough to venture out of the house now.  Andrew and I took the kids out to Cold Stone yesterday for their "Make a Wish" ice cream social, and Taylor rocked it.  I also went to the mall today to let my boys play at the "inside park" and see the animals at the pet store.  Big Boy did awesome again.  

I finally feel free!
(Knock on wood)
Little boys looking at puppies in the pet store window at the mall

Taylor isn't the only kid around here who's been making big strides.  

For the past month, Russell has been trying to walk.  It's been off and on, but this week, he's decided that walking is his thing.  Even though this has been a gradual process, it's strange but fun to see him walk in-and-out of rooms on his own---doing his cute little baby thing.
Ruh-russ Stuffing his face with Ramen Noodles for Lunch

Russell's first steps just over three weeks ago...

...a few weeks after that...

...tonight.

What a little man!  Wasn't he just born yesterday? (I swear I was there...) 

He's growing up so quickly.

2 comments:

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

Yay for your 2 big boys!!

Kevin and Laurie Anderson said...

Yay for Taylor! So happy he is getting the hang of it.